Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /misc/13/748/188/906/user/web/blog.deonandan.com/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/user-specific-content/User-Specific-Content.php on line 373
This week, the newest heir to the British throne, George Alexander Louis something something was born. Several friends have pointed out that the name reminds them of George Costanza, Jason Alexander, and Julia Louis Dreyfuss —hence, Seinfeld. And as Stephen Colbert pointed out, Seinfeld was about what the Royal family actually does…. nothing.
I was shocked when my elderly parents raised a toast to the “birth of a new king”, something my 82 year old father exclaimed he never thought he’d live to see again. I was a little perturbed that they took an interest in it. But then again, we are from “British” Guyana, are of “British” Indian extraction, and are citizens of “British” Canada. So there you have it.
I really have no interest in any of it, except that I’m a fan of history. And I’ve decided that I will try to be less of a cynical asshole about these things, and actually be forgiving of people who want to celebrate pointless, but otherwise happy things. So if you want to celebrate the birth of a child, then that’s fine with me; it’s better than celebrating some pointless sports victory in which you likely had no role.
So, because people sort of seem interested, today’s quiz is all about British monarchy. As usual, the answers are at the bottom…
1. In 1960, contrary to tradition, Queen Elizabeth II declared that the descendants of her and Prince Philip would carry an actual surname (with the key exception of those individuals with the titles Royal Highness, Prince, or Princess). What surname did she choose?
2. When Prince Philip married and became royal consort to Queen Elizabeth II, he gave up his princely titles to what other two countries?
3. This king rebuilt Westminster Abbey as a shrine to Edward the Confessor
4. Who is the current Princess of Wales?
5. Which king was also known as “Lackland”?
6. Which two royal houses fought the War of the Roses?
7. Who was the first Tudor monarch (officially)?
8. Who was the only British monarch to have served his or her entire rule officially representing the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha?
9. What was the name of the illegitimate son of Henry VIII by his mistress Elizabeth Blount?
10. Which king was tried and beheaded by Parliament after Oliver Cromwell’s overthrow of the monarchy?
3. Henry III
4. Yes, Camilla is the Princess of Wales, but doesn’t use the title for obvious reasons
6. York and Lancaster
7. Henry VII
8. Edward VII
9. Henry Fitzroy
10. Charles I