Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /misc/13/748/188/906/user/web/blog.deonandan.com/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/user-specific-content/User-Specific-Content.php on line 373
It’s that time of the year again! Long time readers will know that I regularly give my 4th year International Health Students a current events quiz, and then immediately post the quiz here on my blog so that you, the people, can also try it out.
You know the drill. If you’d like to participate, try to be honourable about it. Take the multiple choice test below. The answer key is at the bottom of this post. Then, share your results with the rest of the world by clicking on the following SurveyMonkey.com link:
Keep in mind that the answers are relevant to the date of the quiz (Nov 18, 2013), and are according to the facts as presented by the BBC.
As always, remember: this is not a contest. And feel free to share the quiz widely.
1. What is the name of the Typhoon that hit the Philippines this month?
2. Controversially, the Commonwealth summit meeting this month will not be attended by the Prime Ministers of India and Canada, in protest of the host country’s human rights record. What is the host country?
(D) Sri Lanka
3. The FARC is a Leftist guerrilla group operating in what country?
4. What group has claimed responsibility for coordinating the international aid efforts in the Philippines?
(A) United Nations
(B) Gates Foundation
(C) World Bank
(D) Red Cross
5. The modification to China’s One Child Policy is that now
(A) Parents can now have two children
(B) Parents can have two children if one of the parents is an only child
(C) Parents can now have two children if the first child is a son
(D) Parents can now have two children if the first child is a daughter
(E) Parents can now have as many children as they like
6. A car bomb killed approximately 15 people just a few days prior to a meeting of tribal elders who are expected to consider an important security agreement with U.S. forces. In what city did this happen?
7. The majority of Brazilian deforestation is done for:
(A) Soy farming
(C) Cattle ranching
(D) Wheat farming
(E) None of the above
8. What is a “favela”?
(A) Brazilian slum or shantytown
(B) A type of village in the Philippines
(C) An Indian rodent
(D) A Government rank in Liberia
(E) A type of house in the Philippines
9. Who is Isra al-Modallal?
(A) Sole survivor of a car bombing in Bhutan
(B) Rebel leader in Kenya
(C) Nobel Peace Prize winner
(D) New Prime Minister of Burma
(E) The first female spokesperson for Hamas
10. Police searching trucks driving from Afghanistan to Iran are most commonly searching for what contraband?
(E) Nuclear fuel
Before the answers, a quick announcement. If you live in Ottawa, come on out to the next Faculty of Medicine Global Health Journal Club meeting, which will take place Thursday Nov 21, 2013, at 6pm at the Royal Oak Pub (downstairs, side room) at 221 Echo Drive. I will be presenting “The New Global Health“, while graduate student Sarah Newell will present “The Future of Global Health.”
UPDATE: The distribution of the marks from the 11 brave people who actually posted their results (as of Dec 1, 2013) is: